Last summer, Tyler did research with the Vascular surgeons associated with EVMS. He got to scrub-in on many surgeries and get some great exposure in the OR. As part of his experience, he had to create and execute a research project. The finished project was titled: “Our Experience with 140 Visceral Artery Stents: Should Celiac Artery Stenting Be Abandoned?” – thrilling, I know. But I guess in the world of Vascular Surgery it is interesting, as he was chosen to present his paper at the Annual Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery Symposium held this year in Scottsdale, Arizona.
The first weekend in April, Tyler headed off to Arizona for a few days. He was pretty intimidated since he was the only medical student presenting at the symposium. Here is a picture of him as he was getting ready to start:
By all accounts, he did a great job and felt it was a valuable experience and he feels very lucky to have had the support and mentoring he received from the surgeons he worked with.
Once his presentation was done, Tyler was free to enjoy the rest of the weekend. Tyler and some of the doctors and their wives (who were lucky enough to go!) went hiking and saw some beautiful views.
Apparently they really try to liven these conferences up a little bit with some “extra-curricular” activities. Truthfully, if there wasn’t photographic evidence of the following, I never would have believed that Tyler actually did these things:
Mechanical bull riding & Old-time outlaw photos
Tyler with Chris Stout (the fellow he worked with the most)
I wish I could have seen these activities in person. But, pretty much, I don’t think Tyler can ever claim any picture I want to take is too lame after these.
I’m glad, however, that he had fun and made some good professional connections on his trip. He even got to stop and visit with his brother, Justin, as a bonus. We are very proud of his accomplishments and were very happy to have him home afterwards.
No comments:
Post a Comment